Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

Top 10 Enemies of Gold Jewelry: #2

Don't let this happen!!!



Never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever removing your jewelry!!

This is especially a problem with rings, since there is so much significance placed on the wearing of rings. Many, if not most, people have a ring that they always wear, and they "feel naked" without it. (I do too, this is totally natural.)

Whether it is sentimental attachment or just habit that causes your ring to never leave your finger, there are problems with this practice.

Besides the dirt and goo that accumulate from never removing your ring which causes your ring to look, well, sad; never taking it off could result in being unaware that you cannot remove it! As mentioned in an earlier post, this can lead to a lack of circulation or worse- having your finger grow around it to where it needs to be surgically removed!

Sadly, I've noticed that the people who "never ever" take their rings off, are the ones who also "never ever" look at their rings. Whether this is because they believe that their rings are indestructable and will -magically- "never ever" wear out or change, or because it becomes so much a part of their finger that they don't think about it, I'm not sure, but it is precisely because I love my rings so much and I am so sentimentally attached to them that I do take them off!!

I want my rings to look as clean and shiny as they day I got them, I want all of my stones to still be in the ring, I want, I want, I want... but why not?

I love looking at my rings, that is why I notice when something looks wrong! Do all 4 of my prongs look evenly spaced, or has one gotten knocked off to the side, putting my stone at risk? Can I see all the smaller stones? If not, is it because they are dirty, or missing? Is any one stone less sparkly than the others? Could it be cracked or chipped or scratched? Diamonds may not scratch, but they CAN crack and chip, and other stones can be scratched and worn down over time!

People come to see me when they lose a stone an seem to be shocked that it could have fallen out. When I ask, "When is the last time you had it cleaned and checked?" I am greeted with a blank stare. With, "Do you take it off before bed?" the response is invariably, "No, why?" A brief glance at the ring tells me what I already know- they prongs are all worn down past where the edges of the stone would have been! When there is no metal left to hold the stone in place, the stone does not stay in place- it falls out!!

This blatant neglect seems so odd to me. If they had only brought their ring in regularly for cleaning, we would have caught on that the prongs were thinning and could have retipped them before the stone fell out! If they had only looked at their ring, they might have noticed it for themselves!

If you are wearing your ring 24/7 because you love it soooo much, then you might not be showing your love in the best way possible! They say, "If you love something, let it go..." I say, if you love it, let it go- to a jeweler, for professional cleaning and checking!! It's a little longer, but it gets the point across!

The more you wear your ring, the faster it will wear out. Rings are meant to be worn, but if you don't wear them to bed or while doing household chores or things like that, it will wear out significantly slower. Like a car, it will need regular check-ups and routine maintainance, but with these you can keep your ring running much longer than your car!!

So, while your really, really should take your rings off for certain activities, I'm fairly certain that most of you won't. I hope that maybe one or two things might have clicked and will help you to avoid jewelry doom, but if nothing else sticks, remember this: If you never ever, ever, ever take off your ring for any reason, or even don't take it off as ofen as you should, BRING IT IN to a professional jeweler, OFTEN!! Get it cleaned and checked as often as possible to ensure the safety and integrity (and shiny-ness) of the ring. Be aware of your jewelry, look at it, notice how it changes and do something about it if it doesn't look like it should!

2 comments:

  1. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. phoenix jewelry store

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gold is always a love for women!!

    please check this on amazon Women's engagement rings

    ReplyDelete